Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jane Austen Cravings

Winding down after exam could never been better than watching another BBC version of a Jane Austen's adaptation. If you haven't watched their version of Pride and Prejudice, I suggest strongly that you would do so right now on youtube as I personally think it is better than the movie itself! (Collin Farrel is the perfect Mr. Darcy that most girls would die for~)

Now I'm watching Sense and Sensibility. There are 2 version, the older one starring Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson and not forgetting Alan Rickman (of Prof. Snape fame in Harry Potter). I'm currently watching the newer version (fresh from the oven!) and I've got to say the timeline and music score appeals to me more than the older version as the latter version can get tedious after quite some time.

Jane Austen wrote quite a number of really great and romantic novels.

Caution: The English is quite deep but it gives it better effect and unlike sleazy romance novels off the rack in MPH, Jane Austen's stories are realistic, written accordingly with her time and the heroines portrayed in her books are pretty, intelligent and unafraid to embrace liberty (esp. in speaking her mind), which was quite unusual for women of her time to do so.

Recommended readings:

(1) Pride and Prejudice (but of course!!! I always loved the ending)
(2) Emma (I read it halfway but couldn't finish it as it's quite draggy in the first half. Reminds me of some boring EPL matches on TV)
(3) Sense and Sensibility (To be honest, haven't read it myself)

However, critics have always mentioned that Emma was Jane Austen's best work but the popular one would definitely fall into the hands of Mr. Darcy of P&P...Haha!

I'm suddenly recalling and getting addicted to all these classics as they were all so beautifully written. Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre (tragic giler the story...!) and also Wuthering Height (this wan lagi super tragic!!!) were also my favourites.

Somehow, I wish young girls (and boys too!) nowadays would read all of these classics and not come to hate them as it really is beautifully composed, rather than reading yet another gossip on Britney Spears in entertainment magazines. (No input at all....what's the point...)

Alright. No more lectures on classics. I wanna resume my S&S now.

No comments: