Saturday, March 14, 2009

Road Woes

Any motorcyclist reading this blog? If yes, then welcome to my world. I am so frustrated that I feel like forming a "I Hate Potholes" campaign/club just to get my message across to JKR (where is Samy Vellu when you need someone to blame for the lousy road?!). Maybe I could form another rally just like those people who were marching to Istana Negara last Saturday to protest on teaching Math & Science in English (6 years too late, i think... and whatever is wrong with learning them in English?)

Well, I think I have better cause to go marching around the palace and also the whole of KL and lots of other people will be willing (and happy!) to join me. Why?

Have you notice the abominable road conditions in KL recently? Especially when it rains like now. It's horrible. Potholes appear everywhere. It's as if we were hit by cluster bombs. It's not just small holes, it's big enough to kill an innocent motorcyclist who is trying to make it home after a long day out in the crazy city.

Last year, a day after I came back from Australia after spending 2 enjoyable months in Tasmania, I took my beloved red scooter out for a ride when i suddenly started drizzling. Better head home to my aunt's house then but what do you know? On the way home, I went into a pothole covered with rain water and voila~ almost got myself killed.

I admit it. I was scooting at 80kph then but that is the normal speed we go on highways. But, for unwary motorcyclist like me who did not expect the stretches of road all of KL (especially in and near UKM + Kajang) to have so many holes all around! My tyre was busted and thank God there was a nice Indian uncle who fetch me on his bike to a workshop insteading of kidnapping me!

There have been many cases where motorcyclists like me ended up in the grave or in the hospital just because of all these stupid holes. Where are the people in charge of the maintenance? Why are our roads so bad in the first place?

I demand for a right to life safely under Article 5(1) of the Federal Constitution as well as the right enshrined under the United Nation Declaration of Human Rights.

I demand that the Government do something to protect the lives of its people, we motorcyclists who use the roads every single day of our lives!

I demand to all politicians, do your job! We didn't elect you just to sit and relax in a nice big chair and also to attend so many functions just to get your name up in the newspaper every day!

I demand that all city and town councils to check on the roads to ensure it's not covered with holes and making me go around it as if I'm in some kind of motorcross rally!

I demand that we have roads with better quality and worthy of a country who is going towards the developed status (2020... remember? or is everyone too busy scuffling for power and politicking until its people are ignored and shoved aside?)

Do something people!!

No comments: